Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Frohe Weihnachten!

Today is Christmas. Though at the moment it doesn't quite feel like it because the family will arrive in about an hour and that's when the festivities will begin, whereas at my house on Christmas, all our traditions take place in the morning. But my Christmas Eve was so much more beautiful, joyous and filled with family than I ever could have expected Christmas away from home could ever be.

Yesterday as they prepared for guests to arrive, since there wasn't anything I could help with, I spent the better half of the morning reading my Bible, getting on and off Facebook, listening to Christmas music, and honestly, wallowing in self pity a little bit about not being able to spend Christmas with my dear family. At 4 we went to their church for the Christmas Eve service. Marie was in the choir there and it was fun to watch her and take a little video of that. Though I couldn't actually understand what the pastor was saying, I watched his body language and facial expressions and the powerpoint to get the most out of it as I could. I actually did. Maybe I didn't quite understand what he was saying, but my thoughts that resulted from my observations were quite good.

A quiet Christmas Eve in Gusternhain

After church we came back to their house and awaited the arrival of Marie's uncle and cousin. Marie's excitement rubbed off on me a bit as we waited. When they arrived, it was great fun. Her cousin knows English and her uncle is learning so it was fun to talk to them a bit. Soon after they arrived, we all sat down to dinner. Before we ate, her dad gave a little speech which at that moment completely wiped away any homesickness that was lingering and changed my perspective for the whole evening. He said something to the effect of (Marie translated for me): "I am so happy that you're all here. I am especially happy to have another daughter with us this year. I hope that you enjoy your time here with us even though it's hard to be away from your family for Christmas. I'm glad you're all here. Merry Christmas and have a good evening!" To hear him say that and know that I am loved and wanted here, despite how little they know me made the rest of the night feel so much more like I was with family. And yes, I know I was missing my family back home and the festivities there, but just for this one Christmas, I am so grateful to be here and I want to enjoy it to the fullest.

Dinner was fantastic. We had turkey, pork, potato salad and cucumber salad with red wine from the Black Forest area. I learned a valuable lesson: if you don't want too much wine when you're a guest in someone's house, drink it slowly. Otherwise they might keep refilling your glass. Words of wisdom, right there. Usually I don't understand much during meals because they are talking in German, but for some reason last night I was able to understand so much more than I usually do which made the dinner conversation so enjoyable for me instead of sitting there lost and confused. That was a huge blessing.

From L to R: Marie, her mom, her dad, her cousin, her brother, and her uncle.

After dinner we sat around the table and talked for a really long time. We skyped Marie's twin brother and sister-in-law and her family who live in the north of Germany, which is where we are going for New Years. We then had a delicious dessert.


After a little while, we opened gifts together. I was so amazed at the generosity and kindness of this family! I just assumed that letting me stay here, eating their food and invading their lives for 3 weeks was enough of a gift. But they also gave me some things that will remind me of this Christmas that I will cherish forever. Marie and her cousin also gave me wonderful gifts. I was so overwhelmed. They opened my gifts that my parents mailed here. It was hard to find things that are from Washington, but I think they enjoyed everything and I enjoyed being able to give something to them. After that, we walked to Marie's grandparents' house a few blocks away to drop in and say hallo, where I was also given a box of chocolates. Generosity abounds.

Later that evening (and again in the middle of the night!), I finished off the day with skyping my family who was gathered together at my aunt and uncle's house. I do miss everyone so much, but I am so incredibly grateful to be where I am, with this family in particular. Even though I am away from family, friends and home traditions this Christmas, I am still with family, filled with an overwhelming sense of joy and gratitude.


"While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord."
Luke 2:6-11

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Alyssa! I'm so glad you have had such a special time with Marie's family. The way you described spending Christmas with another family makes me think of my sister Christina, because she's actually spending Christmas with some friends of ours in Alaska. We miss her, but we're so happy for the experiences she's having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Alyssa!!!! What a wonderful place for you to be! It is now 11::00 PM on Christmas and I so enjoyed reading about your Christmas away from home!!! Sunday, I was just telling your parents about my Christmas the year I was at Capernwray. After all these years, I am still remembering it and think of it every year! It sounds like a wonderful day and thanks for the pictures! Hugs, Dianne Z.

    PS So fun you got to skype with your family! We were skyping today too with my brother and sis in law!

    ReplyDelete