Well, in just under a week, winter school
will end. That may not seem like a big deal, especially considering I’m still
not going home for another 3 months. But it is. Winter school and spring school
are two completely different schools. At the end of winter school in a week,
many of my dear friends will either go home or go to another location for
spring school. I can’t honestly say I will see all of them again in this life.
That reality hasn’t completely struck me yet, but it results in a tear once in
awhile. Some of my friends will stay here, as I am. And I look forward to that.
But it will be so strange to be in the same place with some of the same people,
but altogether a new school with new students. It will take some adjusting and
yet I will only have 8 weeks to adjust to it before I go home. I cannot believe
how quickly time has passed since we returned from Christmas break.
On another note, our 10 day outreach is now
over. I can’t remember how much I wrote about it before we left, but I was one of
the leaders on a team of 6 going to Wales, near Cardiff. It was absolutely brilliant.
I can honestly say I had the best team I could have asked for. We were told before
we left that we are the best team that they’ve had (and they’ve been having
teams for 15 years!). I am so proud of my team for their willingness and
enthusiasm this week. Also, I so much
enjoyed the church that we were serving alongside. It reminded me of Harvest a
bit and I think it was because of that I ended up feeling so comfortable there
with the people and the area we were in. We did a range of things including an
assembly in a school, standing on street corners stopping people with
questionnaires concerning the church and their community, sharing at a coffee
morning for older women, making and serving food for a lunch, and teaching
lessons on Friday nights and Sunday mornings for an age range of 3 up to teens.
It is clear that God is working through those people in their community and it
was an incredible privilege to be a part of that.
I think I would have to say that my
favourite structured activity was something called Easter Cracked, which is a
program created by our church contact person and his colleague. It was designed
to be something carried out in the church and kids in certain years (grades) in
school would take a field trip to the church to participate in it. It’s great
because the law here has certain religious requirements that need to be filled
and the program not only fills those requirements, but beautifully explains the
gospel and shares the story of Easter. The kids were split up into 6 groups and
each group would travel to a station and have 7 minutes there and move on. Each
of us on the team did a different station. I presented the crucifixion bit 24
times in 2 days. It’s such a great program and we all really enjoyed
participating in it.
I also just thoroughly enjoyed hanging out
with people during various times. I had a good time socialising with people during
what they call “Late Shift” (upper high school and college age), with the
families who would feed us tea in the evenings and with my host family. I know
that I will miss the people and the fellowship there a lot. I do hope to make a
trip down there during spring school at some point, but I’m also trying not to
get my hopes up too much. I loved that it felt more like living normally and
serving alongside people than it being some big thing that needed to be
accomplished during my time here at Bible school.
Keep an eye out for a video that I made to
explain it better! It was for our school presentation and I wish I could have
made it longer, but I couldn’t. I can’t post it now, due to the lack of
internet...but I will soon!
Thanks for the post, Alyssa! It is always so good to hear what you are doing. Sounds like the Wales trip was quite an experience and I look forward to the video.
ReplyDeleteI remember the winter-spring school break. My friend that I have stayed in contact with all these years (she lives in Scotland) I met at Spring school. She was one of my roommates. I love Spring School just as much as the winter school, but in a different way. At that time we had a different principal for Spring school. I also found out I had not renewed my visa, but the police came out to Capernwray and helped me do it. I think it is all different now and I may have told you about that mistake already.
Love hearing from you!
Hugs, Dianne
Praying for you honey as you have to say goodbye to special friends that God has given you.It is really cool to hear how the Lord has used you and the team there in Wales. ,Im looking forward to seeing your video too.Enjoy spring school..love you so very much.see you soon.
ReplyDelete