Wednesday, March 1, 2017

A miracle in the life of a former Morning Grump

I've never been a morning person. Ever.

For years I've tried to wake up earlier to be more productive in the morning, whether that means starting the morning off with my Savior, or working out (ha!). But every single sorry attempt has failed miserably, usually leaving me tired and frustrated knowing I could have slept longer instead of pressing snooze for an hour and a half. Then I'd get ready (half asleep still), and be in such a rush to make a sad attempt to get to work on time that I often ended up eating breakfast and drinking coffee at my desk as I checked my email (I'm not proud to admit that).

My former roommates (former for other reasons, not this) knew better than to be too cheery or conversational in the morning. They figured they would be better off to avoid me altogether as I was still coming to from my deep slumber. But oh no...that was a bad move too because I didn't want anyone treating me like the Morning Grump I most certainly was. That made matters worse. A couple of them (brave souls) made cautious attempts to wake me in the morning when I admitted I had a problem and needed help. It was so bad that I thought it only fair to warn my current roommate of the issue before she agreed to let me move in with her. Just in this past year or so, I had come to accept that Morning Grump was just a part of who I am and it would always be so.

Come New Years, I realized I hadn't even thought once about making any New Years resolutions. But then I quickly scoffed at the idea, knowing that I've never successfully kept a New Years resolution in the past (much less one to wake up earlier) and didn't feel like setting myself up to fail again this year. (Certainly not an optimistic perspective, but it's what I thought nonetheless.) Then I had a thought. What if, instead of setting overwhelming and unrealistic goals for myself, I simply made a goal to have a "morning routine". No expectations for what I would do or how early I would get up, just simply have a morning routine (whatever that means). I didn't tell anyone for awhile because that would only heighten the disappointment if I failed (since I had so many people rooting for me to not be the Morning Grump). As you have probably assumed from my title, it's the only New Years resolution I've ever kept. (Yes, thank you. I am aware it's only March 1st.)

Part of me wishes I could tell you my trick for how I did it, but the truth is that I just did. Whether divine intervention or sheer will power, it just happened. And maybe by this point in my blog you're thinking I'm a terribly anticlimactic writer and wondering what the point is. Why am I confessing my secrets of being a Morning Grump and telling you that one day it simply went away? Here's why: I have been amazed at (and continue to discover) the difference this has made in my day to day life; in my emotional health, how I function, interact with people, spend time with Jesus, etc. So whether you find this helpful motivation to begin your habit of waking up earlier, or you simply appreciate it as a testimony of how God has been using something so inelaborate to effect me so deeply, the following are ways earlier mornings have made a difference, in no particular order:

Sweet time with God
Spending time with God daily is valuable to me as I get to know Him in His Word, bring my joys and struggles before Him, and seek Him in all things. Previously, I was often finding time to do this in the afternoons (often prime time for other activities) or before bed (when my mind and heart were weary and worn from the day). Doing it at these times made it easier for it not to happen. But by reading Scripture in the morning when my mind is sharp, and my heart is open to what God has for me in the day, I am much more hungry and in tune to what I am reading and ways He is speaking to me. Part of my mornings also include a (sometimes short) time of silence and solitude, something I didn't have time (or make time) for before. This too, has helped me begin my day with a right perspective and with my eyes set on Jesus.

A softer heart
I've noticed in the past few months as I've began my mornings this way, I am much more aware of ways that God is leading and teaching me. I think more intentionally and I hear more clearly. 

Enjoyment of simple things
Breakfast is my favorite meal, and now I feel like I actually enjoy it. I allow myself time to make breakfast instead of always resorting to something quick and easy. I also love coffee. A good cup of French press really hits the spot for me, but it's harder to enjoy it on the run or at work than in the quietness of the morning. Opportunity to enjoy these things helps me acknowledge my gratitude to God in ways I wouldn't have otherwise. 

Time in the day to do more
By setting my mornings aside to spend reading Scripture, those afternoons and evenings are freed up to do things such as go for a walk, meet with someone for (another cup of) coffee, or read a book, and still manage to get to bed at a decent hour.

More productive mornings at work
By waking up a couple hours before starting my work day (instead of, well...less than that) and taking time to eat breakfast, have coffee, wake up, and set my gaze on Jesus, I am awake and ready to start my day instead of sitting at my desk trying to wake up while I'm already working. I can actually engage in conversation with people (imagine that!). One of my coworkers even said there was a noticeable difference before he knew I was settling into this morning routine. Even Monday mornings seem better.

Less desire for screens and social media
I haven't quite figured out why, but social media, movies, and Netflix have been becoming increasingly less appealing. I think the reason is some combination of feeling like I have time and energy to do some of the other things that I didn't before and increasingly seeing the value in things that are more beneficial because I am spending more time with the Father. (It's also been an insanely busy season of life for me, so I'm sure that is a contributing factor as well.)

Less hurried
Even though it has indeed been a busy season for me, I've noticed that I'm less hurried than normal. By starting my day in a frustrated fluster, I often felt the need to be in a hurry. Of course to get where I needed to go since I was often late, but the feeling also carried over and felt like a weight on my chest even when it shouldn't have been there. By starting off my mornings slowly and intentionally, by beginning in the presence of the Father, everything else seemed to feel less hurried and anxious too. Don't get me wrong, I still have moments when I feel that way (I shouldn't be as busy as I am!), but generally it has made a huge difference, making me both more emotionally and spiritually healthy.

By no means have I perfected the art of mornings, and I certainly don't pretend that I have. Sometimes I still sleep in later than I intended, or get to work a couple minutes late. And at moments I'm tempted to be dissatisfied and think "If I could only wake up even earlier, I could do so much more." And I really, really hope I don't have to write a post in a couple months talking about how I couldn't even make it through the year. There are plenty of morning people who could have a good laugh at this blog, but in case you hadn't noticed, this seemingly minuscule thing is a pretty big deal for a former Morning Grump. So laugh if you must, rejoice with me in the simple joys if you will, and have good mornings always.

"In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly."
Psalm 5:3

"In the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life."
Psalm 143:8 

No comments:

Post a Comment