I have been securing some last minute details like preparing a box of things to send ahead of me because I need to make space and weight in my bags due to a mistake I made when leaving Portland. Who knew that mailing a box to England would cost so much? Speaking of leaving Portland, that was quite the adventure. There were several wonderful and dear friends who woke up early to see me off, even though I never announced when I was leaving because it was so early that I didn't expect anyone to show up. Even though I was fairly preoccupied with getting ready to catch a plane, I am so grateful that they were there to see me off. We had already gotten a later start than planned, and on top of that, the line to go through security was so much longer than we expected it to be. Right before I was ready to go through, I discovered that the lady at the Southwest Airlines counter had not given me my boarding pass even though I requested one. Although, I also didn't check the folder she gave me with my bag claim tickets like I should have. One of the security guys directing people in line let me out and I bolted (past my friends who were still there...wondering what I was doing) to the station where I printed the boarding pass myself. The guy let me back in the line and I ended up going through at the same time as Jalina. But, due to the fact that my bags were too heavy the night before and I had to put some things into my carry-on, I was pulled aside at security and told I needed to get rid of some of my liquids. Silly me...I should've thought that through better! So I passed them off to my parents and they later mailed them to me. We rushed to our gate and made it in time. But, that being said, I need to send some things ahead of me to England to compensate for the extra weight. I am glad that those glitches in traveling happened while in Portland at an airport that I am comfortable in. Now I will be more aware of those details when I am traveling by myself and in unfamiliar places.
Jalina and the boys and I are going to work in some last minute visits to historical sites, a park (called Mt. Trashmore which was built on an old landfill sight) and the beach. Jalina and I also have some things we wanted to do together tonight after the boys go to bed. It will be a good last couple of days in Virginia Beach with them and I do hope we have time to do everything we have planned.
I leave early Thursday morning. My trip from when I catch the train in Virginia to when my train arrives in Carnforth is a total of 26 hours. Here are a few things that you can be praying for:
- We need to leave early Thursday morning to get to the train station (about 45 minutes from Jalina's house) and we are hoping to avoid traffic. But this means getting the boys out of bed early, too.
- I discovered that my train to Washington, DC does not have a luggage car so I will have to bring all my bags with me where I am sitting (my travel agent confirmed that they allow that). But I am still a little bit nervous about that part.
- It is my first time riding a train and a taxi so not really knowing what it is like to ride either adds to my nervousness a little.
- Also, please pray that I would get a chance to SLEEP in that 26 hour time period. I want to be awake and alert when I arrive in Manchester, not only to look out for my own safety, but also to enjoy my new surroundings for the first time.
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
“Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you.”
never will I forsake you.”
So we say with confidence,
“The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
What can mere mortals do to me?”
Hebrews 13:5-6What can mere mortals do to me?”
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7
Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24
Thanks for the update, Alyssa! I will be praying for you! There are certainly lots of things to think about, but I hope in the midst of it all you have time to really take in and enjoy all these new experiences.
ReplyDeleteI will be praying for you as you embark on this new journey! I know God has many wonderful things planned for you and I hope we can stay in touch while you're gone! :)
ReplyDelete