On this particular trip we went to a different orphanage than the first trip. This time we were up in the mountains in a town called Petionville, about an hour out of Port-au-Prince. The orphanage is called Rivers of Hope and is run by Rachel, a native Haitian woman who has a strong personality and a strong heart, and cares deeply for each child. There are two homes: one is for ages 0-3 and the other is for ages 4-7. We spent most of our time at the younger one, though we did attend a birthday party at the older one and the rest of the team spent an afternoon doing crafts with kids there (I was sick!).
One project was to build a changing table that provided more space for diaper changes.
The guys also built a half-wall and a gate to separate the babies room from the toddlers room so they didn't have to use a couch anymore.
One remarkable thing about this trip in particular is that there was a couple who came to stay at the guest house with us as they were picking up their son to finally take him home to the states. I thought that was so beautiful to watch. These parents who adopt their kids from certain countries often have to wait 2-3 years before they can finally welcome their son or daughter into their own home and be together as a family. So to have the privilege of living in the same house for a few days as this family who just now gets to spend 24/7 with their own son is immense. In John 9, Jesus responds this way to his disciples who asked him about who sinned for the man to be born blind: "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." Also in John 11, Jesus says a similar thing after he waited days after Lazarus' death to show up. Even in the wait, the death, the blindness and the pain, it was so that, SO THAT God would be glorified. Even though these parents and their daughters waited years to welcome a son and brother whom they had known and visited into their home, God is being glorified in that story because an orphan is no longer such. He has a family in which he will get more than just one-on-one attention. He has a home where he will grow up knowing about Jesus. And better yet, there are four other boys in the same church and school as him in the states who were adopted from the same orphanage in Haiti. Is that beautiful or what? And then in that context, we read this: "The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by Him we cry 'Abba, Father.'" (Romans 8:15)
During my time in Haiti I enjoyed many things. I had a great time with the team having meaningful conversations, great mouse hunts, laughing really hard, and serving alongside each other. I love the sweet little kiddos and the laughter and joy they bring. I enjoy feeling useful and getting things done that are helpful long term. I admired the beauty of the country itself and the intricate artwork the Haitians create. I even loved the crazy ride to church in the bed of a truck with 15 other people going down one side of the hill into a valley and up the other side. It was all great. But at the end of the day when I come home, those kids are still living their day to day life. They are excited to go to the doctor or hospital because that's the only time they leave the orphanage. Several of their parents' have brought them to the orphanage because they know they have a better chance of survival there.
So what hope is there then? I know this: God is good and He has commanded us to care for the orphans (James 1:27). Maybe you can't adopt (or maybe you can!), but there are still ways. One way is to sponsor a child. What a sponsorship does is provide money so that the child can be better cared for. Ideally, if each child is sponsored, the orphanage can hire more nannies, keep up the home much better, pay for food, doctor bills, etc. Click here for more information and kids you can sponsor. Some of us live paycheck to paycheck, but some of them live meal to meal. You can also pray. Remember to lift up these kids and this nation up to God. Or you can go and do similar things that I did.
Now that I'm at the end of this post, I think I might have recognized why I liked this trip better than the other two. I think on the other two I went with a mindset more focused on what I can give. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But I do think I was more focused on what I can learn this time. And I think God has blessed me through that. I have learned so much and taken so much to heart in the past week. Now I have a responsibility to do something with that.
Alyssa, thank you for sharing about your time in Haiti! The children sounded adorable and Christ was able to share His love through each of you. Sounds like a lot was accomplished and how wonderful to spend time with adoptive parents and go through the experience of joy as they received their child. Hugs, Dianne
ReplyDeleteThank you, Alyssa, for loving on our daughter while you were there (as well as all her precious friends). We are so grateful for the loving arms who have held and hugged and shown love to Nora through our 2+ year wait to get her home. You were Jesus in the flesh to her and we are forever grateful. If you want to follow the rest of Nora's journey at all, please feel free to read up about it on my own blog (overthebrim-thieszen.blogspot.com) We are hoping she will be home next month, Lord willing...yay! Also, if you have any photos of her, we always LOVE to receive them. They are like a breath of fresh air that keeps us Mama's going. Plus, I am making a scrapbook of Nora's time at the orphanage and love to include photos of all the people she came in contact with while there. I want her to always know she was well loved and was an impact on so many others just by being her. Actually, I would have contact with some of the other moms as well to be able to link them to any photos as well. Feel free to email me at angie.thieszen@gmail.com with any cute stories or photos. Again, many blessings for your time, your dedication, your service, and your love towards all at ROH. You are effecting more than you know!
ReplyDelete