I wrote this yesterday (Monday), but unfortunately, due to
internet complications and limitations, I was unable to post it. I’m not sure
how soon I will be able to put up pictures as well…I will make sure I do that
when I go into town!
There is so much for me to say since I have actually arrived
here. I don’t really know where to begin actually. I suppose I will continue
from where I left off…
I very much enjoyed the countryside as I rode the train from
Manchester into Carnforth. It was so beautiful with a lot of fields and trees
and old, brick buildings…and LOTS of sheep! Upon arriving at the Carnforth
station, I ended up sharing a taxi with two lovely Scottish ladies who were
staying in Carnforth for a retreat weekend to celebrate a friend’s birthday.
I was so relieved to have arrived at the beautiful
Capernwray House where the hosts there were very accommodating and kind. There
were four other students who were also filling up the rooms that night. I met
Tim first who is the only student at Capernwray from Australia. Next I met
Rachel who had already been traveling with her parents for a couple of days. She
is from California. After that came Emma and her sister who had traveled around
a bit for the past two weeks. And finally, Reilly arrived. She was my roommate
for the night as we had met on facebook and decided to split the cost of the
room. Both Emma and Reilly are from Canada.
That evening I took a much needed shower, but held out on
the sleep until nighttime. The five of us enjoyed conversation together,
talking about various things and excitingly anticipating what Capernwray would
be like. Tim ordered a couple pizzas for us for dinner that night and Reilly
and I didn’t end up making it to bed until about 11. I had a good night’s sleep
that night and we woke up a little later than we planned (about 8:30) in the
morning. We had a lovely breakfast all together and then packed up all of our
things. The hostess of Capernwray House said this is the first time they have
allowed this, but the lady in the office at Capernwray Hall told her that the
five of us were welcome to walk over at 11 instead of wait until everyone else
started coming around two. That was actually quite beneficial. Our luggage was
later brought over later by a couple of the staff members. We had the
opportunity to meet some of the staff and have our own private tour by an Irish
gentleman who is head of the pastoral care team here. He was quite hilarious
and gave us a great tour. We also got to choose our beds since we were all the
first ones in our rooms. After that we spent some time wandering around the
grounds, exploring every part of the castle we could find, waiting in
anticipation for the other students to arrive.
People gradually began to show up and soon after that,
everything started to become quite overwhelming. I met my two roommates: Marie
from Germany and Heidi from the Faroe Islands. I have very much enjoyed sharing
a room with them, but it is still so strange to share a living space with two
people I had never met before.
I have met many, many people, few of which I actually
remember their names or where they are from. But there are a few people that I
have hit it off really well and enjoy spending time with. Very few people that
I have met are actually staying for the whole nine months; most are staying for
only six.
Today was our second full day here and our first full day of
lectures and daily duties. I love the heart behind this school and the passion
that the staff has to serve Jesus. Everything they teach and do is biblically
based and for the benefit and emphasis of a personal relationship with Christ,
for staff and students. I am looking forward to see what Christ will do in the
hearts of these people around me and in my own heart.
I do miss home a lot though. I think that’s all I’ve got for
now. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Also, don’t be shy
in sending me a little note or something if you have time. I would love to
receive some mail here! The address is as follows:
Alyssa Higginson
Capernwray Hall
Carnforth
Lancashire
LA6 1AG
UK
I will do my very best to respond to what you write, but
time seems short here, even though the days are very long!
Prayer requests:
- Please keep my roommate from the first night, Reilly, in your prayers. She was having stomach issues and was taken to the hospital last night. They have done some testing on her and she is now in an observation room.
- Please pray that good and beneficial friendships would be formed from the very start of the year, for me as well as everyone else. I admit that there have been moments of loneliness when I retreat to my room because it is so overwhelming to walk into a room with a lot of people I don’t know and join a conversation. It has gotten better as I meet more people and become more confident.
- Pray that God would speak to the students through the teaching and that we would have ears to hear.
- Pray for good time management as there is a lot to do and a lot to be done here! Please pray especially for good time management and an honest desire to have time alone with God in prayer and in His word…it is very hard to be alone around here!
No comments:
Post a Comment