On Friday, I was on the crew that worked to clean the castle and grounds. I was assigned as a leader of three other people to clean the lounge hall and front entrance area. Part of that duty was polishing the brass plates that are on the wall as decoration. They do a lot to keep the castle very clean and tidy and they utilize the students to get that work done. I appreciate that they do that because not only does it teach us a good work ethic while we are there, but it also cuts down on the cost of school quite a bit.
Friday afternoon I had my duty and then I read in Genesis a bit (we need to read through the Old Testament by the end of Winter school in March). After tea, I went on a walk with Kim, our RA, because she had shared her testimony the night before and there are a lot of similarities in our stories. So we walked and talked for quite some time and it was nice to be able to tell someone a bit about who I am and how God has worked in my life. It is so strange being around a couple hundred people every day who don't really know you at all. It was so great to be able to connect with her on that level and have someone who can understand me. She also gave me a hug at the end,which was nice because it's the first hug I've had since I got here!
That evening we had family night. I was in such a great mood that night and my family got to see the crazy side of me that I don't usually reveal to people in the first week of meeting them for fear of scaring them off! But I laughed so hard I cried and my jaw and stomach hurt, so I would say it was a pretty good time. We played games together and simply got to know each other better. It was so fun.
Saturday I got to sleep in until 9 (which was amazing!) and we had brunch at 11. Shortly after brunch we loaded on the coaches and headed for the Lake district. We went on a gorgeous 3 hour hike and very much enjoyed the beauty of God in the warmth of the sunshine.
(See more pictures on facebook.)
We had tea time when we got back and found something to do for a few hours until it was time to go to the Ceilidh (kay-lee). It was held in the gym and we learned several Scottish dances. I didn't dance the entire time because of my lack of rhythm and the number of people in the room...I probably would have been the cause of something terrible had I not ducked out. One of the students randomly walked into the gym with his bagpipes. Everyone cheered. It was very fitting for the event of the night. I had a lot of fun and it was a good workout!
This morning we had a church service and the Dean of Students, Ian, spoke out of Psalm 23 with a focus on God being our Shepherd. It was great because he grew up on a sheep farm so he was able to emphasize the importance of some of the things that David uses in the Psalm about God being his Shepherd. He talked about how God loves us and leads us and cares for us. One thing that he pointed out in the end is that in John, Jesus talks about laying down his life for the sheep. Ian said that he knows just about everything is to know about sheep and can tell each of their 300 sheep apart individually, but he would never lay down his life for one because the life of the sheep is not worth that sacrifice. But in the same way, Jesus did lay down his life for his sheep, despite how unworthy we really are. I really enjoyed this morning and am looking forward to this evening's service.
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
John 10:11
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.
Psalm 23
No comments:
Post a Comment