Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving...


Today is Thanksgiving. But you wouldn't know it around here. It’s pretty obvious as to why the English don’t celebrate this holiday if you consider how the roots of our American holiday of giving thanks originated. (Although I am slightly confused as to why the Canadians celebrate it as well. So far none of the Canadians here have been able to answer that for me.) I honestly thought that Thanksgiving would be one of the less difficult holidays to being missing at home. But as today comes to a close, I am realizing that it may be even more difficult than others might end up being because there is no hint of celebration of it here. There is no hype, no asking what your plans are, no shopping for essential recipes, no peeling potatoes, no rushing around, no spending the day with family, praying together and sharing what we’re thankful for around the table. None of that is here because there is no Thanksgiving. To most, today is just another day. But to some of us, getting through this day is a difficult task knowing that our families are celebrating this holiday without us.

But even as I sit here wallowing in my self pity, having just spoken to my mom as she prepares for dinner, I realise that while all of those things are wonderful and good, I can still have Thanksgiving in my heart. I am just realising what I value in this celebration. Of course it is natural for me to miss my family at a time like this. But at the same time, saying all this makes me think of the heart of the holiday. To be thankful to the Almighty God for the things He has so generously blessed me with. I am thankful for many things, but have I thanked Him for them today? Or have I only been sad about missing the holiday at home?

I am thankful for the grace that God has given me. I am thankful for this school where I get to learn more about the Word of God and encourage my relationship with Jesus. I am thankful for the staff here that I have been getting to know. I am thankful for the valuable friendships that are being built on daily. I’m thankful for the rain that makes things green. I’m thankful for the beautiful sunrise I saw this morning. I'm thankful for the sheep in the fields. I’m thankful for my health. I’m thankful for my family back home who will miss having me around today. I’m thankful that I have a mom who is great at cooking and who loves me to help her every year. I’m thankful for my dad who is faithful in prayer for me and has always been a good picture of God as the Father to me. I’m thankful for my older sister who has long been a best friend to me. I’m thankful for my little sister, who I prayed for faithfully before she came into being and who has been writing me faithfully since I arrived here. I’m thankful for my nephews who are so sweet and fun. There are so many people that I am thankful for: my Nana and Papa, aunts and uncles, cousins, best friends, mentors, co-workers, my high school students, friends, etc. The list goes on. I am thankful for the house that I will go home to when I come home. I am thankful for my church family. I am thankful for my opportunities in ministry. I am thankful for the food I eat every day. I could go on and on with sentences that begin with “I’m thankful for...”

I cannot believe how amazing God is and how much He’s given me to be thankful for. I know I am missing home and the holiday and being with family, but just the same, I am thankful that I have all of those things to miss and that next year I will be able to enjoy it again. It helps me to realise what the true focus of the holiday is. And I think when Christmas does come around and I am missing those moments, it will be a good reminder to focus on the true meaning of the holiday instead of the traditions that I am accustomed to. I think a check in focus will be good for me. And I will be able to appreciate it so much more every other year when I won’t be missing it. I miss and love you all and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, celebrating Jesus and life. What a difference in mindset from when I started this post. Thank you for teaching me this in such a short time, Lord Jesus. 

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations. Psalm 100:4-5

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our ‘God is a consuming fire.’
 Hebrews 12:28-29

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Alyssa, I read Psalm 100 this morning!.... And I am thankful for a godly daughter who is continually growing in the Lord! You are a blessing! (I miss you!) (Your mother is taking my picture as I type this!!!! Argh!!!) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa,
    I am so glad you are at Capernwray! We all have so many things to be thankful for and thank you for mentioning so many, because it blesses to read your Thanks! Psalm 100 was the first of verses I learned after John 3:16.
    My birthday was on Thanksgiving, the year I was there. They will have to start raising Turkeys along with sheep there! They are very good eating!!!! We miss you here, but you are in a great place, that you will probably never forget. Hugs, Dianne Z.

    ReplyDelete