Saturday, October 20, 2012

Lectures, outreach and other random things...

I can't believe this is only the third week since I've been at Capernwray. It feels like it's already been at least two months. This week we spent a good part of our lectures going through Hebrews with a guest lecturer who (and I mean this most affectionately) reminded me of Treebeard from Lord of the Rings. He was the sweetest wise old man and he kept saying the best expressions like "Oh, crumbs..." and "Hang on! Robert told me..." and then would proceed to remind us of something he had said earlier in the lecture. I really enjoyed going through the book of Hebrews and learning what he had to say. He brought to light many things that I had never considered and skimmed through in the past. It is also interesting how many things that we are going through right now (our Old Testament read-through, reading "Alive in Christ" by Charles Price, our lectures in Hebrews) all connect to each other in some way. I appreciate how the repetition and the overlap enhances my learning. 

We have also had several lectures on outreach and personal evangelism. My outreach is every Friday to a place in Hestbank. It is basically a really relaxed youth group for middle school and high school aged kids who don't have a connection with church. They have a short message and discussion time, but mainly focus on getting students to a place where they feel comfortable and safe and can be introduced to Jesus. The organization is called "Urban Saints". They are really lacking in the amount of staff and love it when the Capernwray students come to help out. I am the team leader and there are three others on my crew. Our first outreach was last night. We didn't do anything as a team except be there to hang out and introduce ourselves to the kids. In future weeks we will likely find a way to be more interactive with them and take a bit of the load off the volunteer's shoulders by doing games, drama, a lesson, or something of the like. We had a great time last night and are very much looking forward to the coming weeks. 

Today we took a trip to Chester. I spent most of the time wandering around looking for historic places to explore. We had success and found the largest Roman amphitheater in Britain, a couple of really old churches and a museum. I will hopefully be able to post pictures in the next few days. (Although we do have a media fast coming up for a few days as we approach a day of prayer, so it could be about a week instead.) I had a wonderful day exploring the city and not being tempted by the shopping! 

God has been teaching me a lot about patience and being positive in the midst of people who tend to complain often. I have heard many complaints from fellow students about various things, but I have been trying to counter them with something positive. It is only by the grace of God that I have maintained this outlook and not gotten too irritated with it. Please pray for me in that though.

I have been invited to go home with my roommate to Germany for Christmas so that is something that I am getting excited about. I have yet to decide if I will spend the whole time with her there or if I will stay at the school and volunteer during their holidays for part of the time. 

Thank you for your prayers for me to feel better. My stomach is much better now and I have a hunch that it was just nerves. But there have been colds and sore throats which I have now caught so I am battling that. 

I continue to meet people and spend more time with new people almost every day and have been developing some good friendships. I have been loving being here so much. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa!
    What a great blog; I feel I'm with you and wish I was! Things at the clinic are very strange-Mark is no longer there; very busy time.
    I'm so glad you're doing well there. It's hard not to be lonely but it will get better, promise! Love you and miss you, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, You have such an ability to express yourself! Christmas in Germany sounds lovely and being in a home for Christmas is VERY special! I also loved the week I spent helping at Capernwray. It was very busy, and very festive! Mrs. Thomas had me painting the ends of the rodies, and they looked like poinsettias and we stuck them in amongst all the green branches decorating the Hall. Praying that you will continue to ignore the complaints and you will be filled with gratitude and wonder and your sweet positive spirit will spread like wildfire!!!! Hugs, Dianne Z.

    ReplyDelete